Monday, October 26, 2015

Grimes Unleashes New Video and Single: "Flesh without Blood/Life in the Vivid Dream"

Electronic prodigy Grimes has finally released the lead single and music video from her forthcoming album Art Angels, due November 6 for digital download. The video actually features two songs, "Flesh without Blood" and "Life in the Vivid Dream."

"Flesh without Blood" might sound like a scary title, but this single is anything but. It's actually quite lighthearted, with plenty of mainstream appeal, and even as an avid fan of her last album, Visions (which was rather dark), I found it enjoyable and meaningful. Much like I've felt that I've personally needed her older material, I needed this song both musically and lyrically: "If you don't need me / Just let me go."

"Life in the Vivid Dream" is a quieter, slower song, and I love it as much as its upbeat predecessor. Even though it's short, it definitely leaves an impression. It may not sound that much like her earlier material but it retains the relaxing, dreamy quality her fans know and love. The lyrics are poetic and heartfelt: "I could tell you that people are good in the end, but why / Why would I?"

The production of these guitar-led songs is just spectacular. As much as I love Grimes' older songs, the sound quality was very reminiscent of demos (albeit some damn good demos that I'd love with all my heart even if they were recorded in a windstorm). But now, everything's crystal clear - even the lyrics (for the most part), and we all know how Grimes likes to make it as difficult as possible to discern what she's singing.

As far as the video itself? Well, the quality is pristine. Grimes is the only artist capable of making a video so cute and evil, of being totally whimsical while also being serious. It gets kind of gory within the two minute range, right when the seemingly random elements first begin to come together. I love the concept - sometimes the people that are supposed to be angelic are the ones sticking knives in our guts.

Altogether, I'm very pleased. I can't wait to hear what else she has in store on Art Angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment