Saturday, July 19, 2014

A Million Suns | by: Beth Revis

A Million Suns is the second installment in Beth Revis' Across the Universe trilogy. I truly loved Across the Universe, so I  had high expectations for this sequel, and fortunately, those expectations were met. A Million Suns has the same sort of intense mystery that kept me flying through the debut, so I couldn't put this one down!

In result of the resolution made in Across the Universe, Amy and Elder have a lot of problems to deal with. The citizens of Godspeed are officially done with Phydus, and while that may be the morally correct thing to do, this has caused the citizens to realize their wants, which may not always be the best for the ship. As chaos seems to increase, Amy and Elder are still uncovering more secrets about Godspeed and its history, and what is uncovered will change everything.

Because, you know, we all thought we understood the gravity of Godspeed's situation during Across the Universe, but in reality, we still didn't know diddly-squat. Seriously, a new truth is unveiled in the first chapter of A Million Suns; Beth Revis certainly didn't mess around! That's one of the aspects I love most about this trilogy: There's always a mystery to solve with secrets to uncover. Who knew that one spaceship could have such an extensive list of secrets! Even when reading this installment, there were plenty of moments in which I thought I understood the true nature of the situation, but I was proven wrong time and time again. Even when I started to think that some of the secrecy was getting excessive and I just wanted someone to come right out and say it, it all adds up in the end: There's a foe on Godspeed who is affecting a lot of what's going on, and this ship has gone through a lot more than people give it credit for. Plus, as the secrets become more explosive, so does the action, and I'm always a sucker for an explosive ending! Altogether these elements create such an unputdownable book.

There's also a lot of relationship evolution in A Million Suns, and I always thought it was interesting to watch characters' relationships change and grow. Of course, we see some more feelings sprouting between Amy and Elder, but friendships among the ship also evolve. Such change occurs  between Amy and Victria and also between Elder and Bartie... And let me just say that Elder and Bartie give me whiplash sometimes. It all demonstrates how traumatic situations can either pull people apart or tie them together. But as far as the general population of the ship... Their unease made me jittery for both Amy and Elder's sake.

But the problems Amy and Elder face on Godspeed aren't all completely new. Unfortunately, we still have to deal with my least-favorite character, Luthor. It's so easy to despise him. Amy still bears scars from a frightening scene with him in the last book, and those memories continue to haunt her, especially since Luthor hasn't changed a bit since the first book.

There are also recurring themes found in both of these first couple of books that I adored. I still love the premise of this series; a story that takes place on a spaceship is so intriguing and just screams "Critica will love this stuff!" And while I know that the final book, Shades of Earth, will be a bit different from the first two, I'm actually quite excited to see how this trilogy will pan out with such a different feel. I hope it's just as good as Across the Universe and A Million Suns, for I love these two books equally. I really couldn't have asked for anything better in A Million Suns. This has to be one of the best sequels I've read.

No comments:

Post a Comment