Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Most Intimidating Books

Oh my goodness, it's time for Top Ten Tuesday, hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.
 
Top Ten Most Intimidating Books
 
1. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I just... I can't. I've heard that this book has fantastic writing... But, in case you guys don't know, IT'S ABOUT A PEDOPHILE. If I can hardly make it through the summary, how am I going to read the entire book? I've heard it can be called a "love story" or whatever... Just, no. This sounds way too gross and way too creepy; there's no way I can handle something like this.
 
2. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about this book. Everyone says that it's got such a great message about speaking up, and I don't doubt any of that whatsoever. It's to the point that I know it's a moving, unforgettable novel despite never reading it. But I just know it'll make me cry and feel miserable since it's about a girl who was raped, so I stay away from it. I'm too emotional.
 
3. Anything by Nicholas Sparks. Once again, I'm too emotional, and from what I understand, all of his books are tear-jerkers that involve primary characters dying.
 
4. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. There are a lot of books in this series. Big books. And even if I don't like the series as much as everyone else, there's a chance that I waste my life on the entire series when I could be reading other books. It's not that I'm expecting to dislike it;  I'm actually quite curious about it. It's just that a few years ago I read the first chapter of City of Bones and wasn't feeling it, so I picked up another book instead. I know that it was probably just a mood thing and that I probably shouldn't judge an entire series based off of one chapter, but I'm intimidated nevertheless.
 
5. A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. So many books, so little time.
 
6. Anything by Sarah Dessen. I'm not sure if 'intimidate' is the right word for how I feel about Sarah Dessen's books. There's just something about them that seems off-putting, but I can't put my finger on what it is. Maybe it's just that they look really girly? But that wouldn't make sense for me, because I am a girl and appreciate the good things in life like things that are pink and sparkly... So I don't know. Everyone loves her, but somehow I'm intimidated.
 
7. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. Again, I'm not sure if 'intimidate' is the correct word to describe how I feel about this one. I find it off-putting despite everyone raving about how good it is... Readers, prepare for a stream of consciousness: Why is the guy cut off from the front cover? That bugs me. I suppose the title intimidates me. (Seriously, Anna, whoever you are, get a room.) But perhaps I just have issues with contemporary novels... I love contemporary, don't get me wrong, but I always cringe whenever I hear of people that only read contemporary or mostly contemporary. I'm not sure why...
 
8. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It's HUGE. It's on my bookshelf just staring at me all the time! And what if it isn't worth it? What if I don't like it and make myself trudge through all those pages?
 
9. Anything that looks sad. For the millionth time: I'm too emotional.
 
10. The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper. I've seen the movie, and I loved it, but I've heard that the novel is incredibly boring. I'm not sure why I'm listening to people when it comes to this book; I rarely ever take other people's opinions into my own consideration because I just need to figure this stuff out myself. I guess it's just the overwhelming amount of people that seem to like the movie better.


Let me know if any of these intimidate you or not, and feel free to leave the link to your list in the comments so I can visit. Have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment