Saturday, January 4, 2014

2014 Fills Me with Excitement

Whenever a new year rings in, there's always a list of releases or events set to happen within the new year for me to get excited about... This year, however, is a bit drastic. Honestly, there's so much stuff I'm looking forward to, I'm afraid I'm going to make this post and manage to forget something. ALL the things are going to happen in 2014... Okay, maybe not all of them, but a great deal of what I care about.
 
First things first: Part two of Teen Wolf's third season premiers January 6 on MTV. Considering how much I've loved this show, especially the first part of season three, my expectations are set relatively high. Hopefully I'll discover some new music from the show as well, like I often do... But either way, I know I'll have some new music by the end of the month, for Within Temptation will release their new album, Hydra, on January 31 - and let me tell  you, I'm SO pumped for this album. Within Temptation has been one of my favorite bands for about six years now, and Hydra's first single, "Paradise (What About Us?)" (a duet with Tarja Turunen, by the way) sounds amazing. I think I'm really going to love the direction of this album. From what this trailer tells me, it'll be very mystic and fantastical; reminiscent of both Within Temptation's newer and older material.


 
But even more of the epic forces of symphonic metal are going to take precedence this year! According to a news post on their official site, Epica will release their new album in the spring. Plus, Tuomas Holopainen (Nightwish's keyboardist and the mastermind behind the majority of the band's music) is going to release a classically-oriented solo album entitled The Life and Times of Scrooge. Nightwish's mesh of classical and metal has had so many beautiful and bombastic moments, and I think it'll be really cool to hear Holopainen's music just from the classical perspective. We got to hear hints of that magic when Imaginaerum was arranged for a score.

But there are also a few movies I'm interested in seeing this year. In May, the film Maleficent is set to be released to theatres. Maleficent was quite a scary character in the Sleeping Beauty animation, and bringing her to a live action setting looks incredibly frightening and cinematic. Darren Aronofsky directed Noah, a film about the well-known Biblical tale set for a 2014 release. While some have expressed concern that Aronofsky, the man who directed Requiem for a Dream (the most disturbing movie in the world) and Black Swan (the second-most disturbing movie in the world) has attempted to work with a Biblical movie, it's important to remember that Requiem for a Dream was based on a novel and Aronofky didn't write the screenplay for Black Swan. Pay attention to the way these films were made, how they were executed so effectively, so perfectly and and not to mention differently for their individual storylines... That's what I love about Aronofsky. He's a genius. (Heh, that just turned into an Aronofsky-appreciation explosion.)


 
And of course, some book-to-film adaptations will come out this year. John Green's The Fault in Our Stars will make its way into theatres... Which I'm less excited about because I'm just going to sit there and cry buckets the whole time. In November we'll all get to go see Mockingjay, Part 1 in theatres. YAY!
 
I don't have too many books on my 2014 list because majority of the series I'm reading right now already have all the books out, with the exception of the House of Night series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. The twelfth and final novel, Redeemed, will be released. I'm still hoping for that Sailor Moon art book... Whenever... if it ever happens. I'm so impatient!

But, on a completely different subject: I'm so ready for the Winter Olympics in Sochi. It may seem to some that I'm not a sports person, primarily because I don't care much about football, basketball, or soccer, but I love winter sports. All of them - except curling. I've been counting down until we've come to another Winter Games year since the last one in Vancouver. Sure, the Summer Games are great too, but winter sports are definitely my favorite.

Well, I think that pretty much sums it up. Hopefully I didn't forget anything! So far, 2014 sounds like a great year for music and movies; I must say, I really cannot wait to hear the new symphonic metal material. I imagine there will be a lot of fangirling to come from me this year. (Then again, when isn't there?)

What are you looking forward to in 2014?

No comments:

Post a Comment