Monday, December 31, 2012

End of 2012 Book Survey

Jaime from The Perpetual Page-Turner created another yearly book survey! I think they're so much fun! Here's her original post.

1. Best book you read in 2012?

Click here for my full list of the best books I read this year!

2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?

Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card

It turned out to be an okay read, but it was nothing particularly spectacular. Meh.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012? 

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

I guess it wasn't that suprising since I didn't know what to expect, but I ended up really enjoying it.

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green was the only one I read this year that put me on a mission to get everyone in the world to read.

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?

Though I did discover a couple of series, none of them particularly blew me away.

However, Naoko Takeuchi's Sailor Moon series was rereleased, and I love them! I discovered Sailor Moon back in the '90s, so a rerelease of something I already knew and loved doesn't really count as a discovery.

 6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?

JOHN GREEN! I also read something by Charlotte Bronte for the first time, and I think she's great!

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
 
I read manga for the first time! Even though I watched the Sailor Moon anime while it was still on television, it wasn't until years later that I started looking for the books. I was having trouble finding them until this wonderful rerelease!
 
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?

I couldn't put these down:
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Sailor Moon Volumes 1-5 by Naoko Takeuchi

9. Book you read in 2012 that you are most likely to re-read next year:

Sailor Moon 4 and Sailor Moon 5 by Naoko Takeuchi. I've only read from 1-5 so far, and those two were my favorites. Sailor Moon really steps in up in these two books.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?


Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink                                                                            The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien















Sailor Moon 3 by Naoko Takeuchi
(truthfully, I love all the Sailor Moon rerelease covers, but this is my favorite)

11. Most memorable character in 2012?

Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte)
Jane Eyre (Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte)
Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars by John Green)
Usagi/Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon Series by Naoko Takeuchi)
Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon Series by Naoko Takeuchi)
Chibiusa (Sailor Moon Series by Naoko Takeuchi)

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

CRYINGLAUGHINGCRYINGLAUGHING.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?

Seriously, it's 2012 and I just now read something by John Green? I'm ridiculous!

I also can't believe I waited so long for Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. I've wanted to read that ever since it came out! The same goes for Crusade by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie, but who knows if I'll even finish it this year.
*sigh*

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2012?

 "Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am souless and harmless?"
-Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

16. Shortest & longest book you read in 2012?

Shortest: A Separate Peace by John Knowles, 196 pages

Longest: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, 462 pages (which isn't even that long)

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

There were a few episodes in Jane Eyre that I can't talk about without spoiling anything... and of course, Sailor Moon's badassery in the Black Moon story arc. Oh, and also Sailor Pluto in the same story arc.

18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Usagi/Sailor Moon and Mamoru/Tuxedo Kamen (Sailor Moon Series by Naoko Takeuchi)
Usagi and Chibiusa (Sailor Moon Series by Naoko Takeuchi)
Hazel and Augustus (The Fault in Our Stars by John Green)

19. Favorite book you read in 2012 from an author you read previously.

Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink

20. Best book you read that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else:

The only reason why I read Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith was because Annette Curtis Klause spoke positively about it.

.....

There was also a Book Blogging/Reading Life portion of the survey that I chose not to fill out this time around since I haven't been the most active in that department.

Looking Ahead:

1. One book You didn’t get to in 2012 but will be your number 1 priority in 2013?

I said this last year, and I'll say it again: Across the Universe by Beth Revis.

Plus, I really, really, REALLY need to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

Oh wait! I also need to catch up on a few series by reading these books: Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick, Destined by Aprilynne Pike, Hidden by P.C. Cast + Kristin Cast, The Dark and Hallow Places by Carrie Ryan, and Circle of Fire by Michelle Zink. Oh, and the rest of the Sailor Moon books as well.

Yeah, I've got a lot of reading to do.

2. Book you are most anticipating for 2013?

The answer I gave to the last question is only a portion of my TBR. Do I look like I have time to anticipate any more? However... I'm totally excited for the rest of the Sailor Moon books... not to mention the Sailor Moon art book. Did you hear me? ART BOOK. *dances, sings, falls over*

3. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2013?

CATCH UP. My TBR is out of control. But, there are a lot of books I'd like to reread... Let's see if I can READ ALL THE BOOKS in 2013.
(Heh. Doubt it.)

One thing I've been feeling lately... I need to meet an author I'm a fan of. Though I'm a major book nerd, I haven't met any authors yet. I must go to a bookish event and get something signed.

--

Thanks for taking the time to read (or at least skim) all of that! I hope everyone else had a fabulous year in blogging and reading; let's make 2013 even better!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment