Thursday, July 26, 2012

Something That Bothers Me: A Companion Post to 'Artist Evolution'

'Pop' is a genre. It describes a specific type of music. Pop music. I also understand that it is often used as an abbreviation for 'popular.' Popular music. But I must say, one's opinion (because no one can seem to agree on the science of what makes popular music so... popular) of general popular music can also be called 'mainstream.' Mainstream music.

Perhaps, boys and girls, we should start using the term 'mainstream' instead of 'pop' since 'pop' is often taken in two different ways but the term 'mainstream' is not.

Why am I talking about this? Well, those who listen to metal music have often run into erratic people on the internet crying about the evolution of a particular artist. (I have discussed this more thoroughly in my Artist Evolution post.) Their biggest complaint? Now, it's apparently 'pop' music. Then people get confused, and the answer is always 'I meant pop as in popular.'

And the best part about all this is, the band hasn't even evolved into a radio-friendly band nor have they strayed from metal.

Or, sometimes a band is 'poppy' because they are a rock band. Not a metal band.

I know by ranting about this doesn't change people on the internet, but I feel as though this is something that needed to be said.

I don't intent to sound mean and bratty, nor do I intend to sound like a know-it-all, but I have had enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment