Sunday, February 19, 2012

VH1's 100 Greatest Women in Music

I love these long VH1 countdowns, so when I heard they were going to compile a list of 100 Greatest Women in Music, I had to watch it in full. Being a fan of relatively unpopular music, I knew that not all of my favorite artists would make this list, but even I had many favorites named throughout. Artists that I didn't expect on the list ended up with fairly high rankings. Of course, there was a few that I personally can't stand, but that's natural. I may be generally open-minded, but no one likes everyone in the music industry.

And I have lots of things to say about it. I suppose you already knew that, though.

First of all, I know a lot of people say things like "Omg this person is the best in the world and you are all dumb for not liking her" but I'm not going to say that at all because we all have personal preference, making any idea of who's "the greatest" completely unique to another. Like I said, I was aware that some of my favorites would not make the list. However, there are only a handful of people that I can think of that I wanted to add to this list, so VH1 did a pretty good job with artist diversity. Even so, when I started thinking of what I owed to the women in music that I've looked up to, I was kind of upset that some of the women that have had huge influences on my own voice wouldn't be on this list. Sharon den Adel (lead singer of Within Temptation) has a beautiful and unique voice, and I'll be the first to tell you that my upper register would be practically non-existant without her. It makes me sad that the majority of the world hasn't given her the credit she deserves. Simone Simons, Epica's female lead singer, also has one of the most gorgeous voices I've ever heard. I guess it doesn't matter to me that they weren't on this list, I'm just saying I'd be able to relate to this list more if they were.

As I previously mentioned, there are some amazing chicks on this list. Since Evanescence is my favorite band, I was so excited to see Amy Lee at number 49! She's such an awesome songwriter and vocalist, in case you haven't noticed. Plus, I was extremely happy to see Alanis Morissette at #15, as she is the most femminist singer we have, if you ask me, and her lyrics seem to say what I can always relate to, but I could never find the words for to begin with.

More than anyone else, I was pleasently surprised to see how high on the list Bjork made it, holding down #29. Obviously, Bjork's a strange artist, and her music is hit-and-miss for me. But she is so incredible when you think of it. Has there been anyone else like her? No, and there never will be ever again. She's so free-spirited with her music and has had such a massive influence on some of my favorite artists. Really, where would we be without her?

Although I was initally rolling my eyes at the fact that Miley Cyrus was listed as one of the greats, I can understand why she was included. Whether we like it or not, she's had quite an influence on the world. And despite that I don't have a problem with Rihanna, I didn't originally think she deserved to be in the top 20 because she simply doesn't have the seniority... but then I realized that she does. Has anyone else realized how long Rihanna's been rocking the charts? Well, maybe it isn't the longest time in the world, but it's not like she was a one-hit wonder; she's had lots of hits. Some that I actually liked. Adele appeared at #5, to my surprise. At first I wondered if she had enough seniority, and even though she probably doesn't, I don't really care because Adele's a great artist nontheless.

The only thing that really bothered me: Where, in God's name, was Joan Jett? I realize that this is countdown only includes female musicians from that past twenty years, but Joan has sill been making music past the '70s and '80s. Just saying.
Other than that, I found this list pretty satisfying. Another VH1 list for me to dwell in all day. You can find the whole list here and find your favorite female artists.
Although I liked many from the list, here are my select favorites:

73. Dido
69. Courtney Love
60. Florence + The Machine
55. Fiona Apple
54. Tori Amos
53. Sarah McLachlan
51. Nelly Furtado
49. Amy Lee (Evanescence)
43. Taylor Swift
36. Shakira
35. Shania Twain
29. Bjork
15. Alanis Morissette
13. Gwen Stefani
11. Britney Spears
10. P!nk
09. Mary J. Blige
05. Adele
04. Lady Gaga
01. Madonna

No comments:

Post a Comment