Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why by: Jay Asher

I just finished this book literately minutes ago.

Thirteen Reasons Why is one of those books you can't put down. For one thing, this whole book (except the last chapter) happens in one night. For another thing, it's just so interesting! I was completely into it the entire time!

At first, I wasn't a fan of Jay Asher's writing style, but I think it got better as the story went along, or maybe I was just to involved with the story to pay attention to his writing style.

The story starts out with a bit of mysterious mood. Clay Jensen receives a box of audiotapes that a girl named Hannah Baker recorded explaining why she ended her life. Clay listens to all of the tapes, all in one night, searching for his name to appear on the tapes, since everyone that received the taped was a reason for Hannah's death. With this summary alone, you can assume two things. One: This is kind of sad. Two: This is kind of deep. And if you assumed those two things, you assumed right.

As a matter of fact, Thirteen Reasons Why is also haunting. Hearing a dead girl talk in your ear about the events that happened which caused her suicide can be described only as haunting, especially when it's Hannah Baker. Her words were so full of emotion, and that emotion is enough to take a toll on anyone who listens, whether her story is sad or not - as it did for Clay.

This story is heartfelt, haunting, and even beautiful when you look at it through some perspectives. I admit, I cried a little during some parts. You can't help but to feel for Hannah and you can't help but to feel for Clay. Books, like Thirteen Reasons Why, the books that make you feel something, are the best part of reading. And when you learn from them, like this one, you always carry it with you.

Thirteen Reasons Why can carry a 5/5 star rating from me with it now.

This is an astonishing start for Jay Asher. I'm hoping he will write more and more books for me to read (and, of course, review) and maybe make me teary again.

No comments:

Post a Comment