Friday, April 16, 2010

Shadowland by: Alyson Noel


I'm sorry it took so long for me to finish this one. I wanted to take my time since I did quite a bit of plowing and cramming through the last novel I read, Under the Dome, and at some points I just didn't feel like reading this.

My first impression of the third installment in this series went something like this: Wow. I like it so far. 4/5 stars as of now, better than Blue Moon, not as good as Evermore. But, around the middle I felt the general plot (again) reminded me way too much of Stephenie Meyer's, Twilight Saga. I loved the Twilight Saga, so at some points I felt like Alyson Noel was basically copy-cating Stephenie, except witches and Immortals and psychics replace vampires and werewolves. This made me angry not only for the obvious reason already listed, but the fact that it was so predictable.

The ending turned out to be much better; not as predictable. I just hate how the past two books in this series end at what seems like the wrong time. Shadowland ended much better than Blue Moon, but still...

Some good points to mention is how Alyson Noel writes. I can relate to how she describes how the leading charecter, Ever, is feeling from Alyson's writing. Books are always better when you feel what the charecter feels, much like here in Shadowland.

A quick pet peeve of mine: The back of this book is misleading.

Unfortunately, however, Alyson Noel has pretty much lost the game. From now on, I will no longer be purchasing any more books in this series. There seems to be a bit too many cons for me in this series, yet it can be so entertaining at the same time. I never wanted to come to this. However, I will borrow Dark Flame from the library, and I haven't decided what to do with Radiance, and if I like it (or them) I will purchase it/them later on.

This series is good, but not something to spend money on, except Evermore. (Oh, how I love that book!) But, with more books of The Immortals series to come, that can all change.

Shadowland - 3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment